RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2007-09-25

The race was last night (15 Dec 2010).
Details of the event HERE.
Official Results HERE.
For those that took part (over 70 people listed in the results):
How did you get on?

Let us know your experiences of the event.

Editted 22:30 - Link to official results added.

Posted: 16 December 2010 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Orange
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-12-06

Excellent race!  It’s been a long time since I last came to Brighton. Special thanks to the Lines family for everything.  It was well worth the nearly 3hr trip to get there!  That’s the A27 for you. 

Some of my ‘highlights’ (course 2),
was confusion at 6 & 7, originally visiting them out of sequence,
passing the decoated water feature? in the Lanes 3 times,
14-15, running across the large open space and dodging the traffic, not really knowing where it was coming from,
visiting the Royal Pavilion gardens,
having the fastest time for 12-13 (was it because I had turned the map over and planned the route before I got to 12?),
the dark alleyways (19?),
narrowly avoiding the chain across a hotel? (16) forecourt,
finding a locked gate in the Pavilion gardens (‘it’s only opened during the day’ someone said - how do you map a lockable gate?),
and the confused looks on the public’s faces as strangely dressed runners randomly appeared and disappeared in all directions. 
I look forward to next year, maybe a control on the beach (castle?)

Posted: 17 December 2010 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2007-09-25

Thanks Robin.

I was working to a plan that had a final run around course 1 at 7.30pm on Wednesday 1 December 2010. I wanted to leave it late enough to spot anything odd that was going to happen in the race timeslot in the run up the Christmas. Unfortunately, on 1 December we had snow on the ground and it stopped me getting out. The new gates in the northern entrance to the Pavilion Gardens were therefore missed as they are not apparent in the day time. There is alternative access 3 or 4m to the E, but of course it’s a pain when there is a niggly error on the map.

The beach area definitely has potential for next year though…

Posted: 17 December 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2007-11-08
Robin - 16 December 2010 07:33 PM

having the fastest time for 12-13 (was it because I had turned the map over and planned the route before I got to 12?),

I also did this, noted that it was an easy leg, started looking at the next few legs and promptly overshot the turning and ended up looking in the next road down. Kenny did the same thing so I think it only fair to blame the map!

Can we go on the pier next year please?

Posted: 17 December 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-12-04

We really enjoyed the BCR. Sophie has always wanted to attempt a night orienteering event and we orginally were only going to do 8 or 10 controls. We were partway round when Sophie said “Let’s try and do them all daddy”. So we did.
Interesting things - people asking us what we were doing ?, the carol singers, the Christmas lights.
We are looking forward to the BCR next year.

Posted: 17 December 2010 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-25

I’ve seen Alex’s video a few times now, but on each occasion that Richard nearly clatters the chap at Brighton Square (1:29) it’s a mixture of relief and the thought that we might have been splitting a £250 cheque three ways…

http://www.youtube.com/user/OrienteeringBoy?feature=mhum#p/u/0/sE14WxGLldg

Posted: 18 December 2010 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Orange
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-18

I thoroughly enjoyed the BCR. Many thanks to the Lines family. I had a little difficulty seeing the finer detail. I also lost a few seconds trying to find a lane that turned out to be a contour line!! Next year I shall study the map carefully in good day light.

Posted: 18 December 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Orange
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-12-06

Re.You tube - thanks for my 2secs (1.09-1.11) of fame!

Posted: 18 December 2010 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Green
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-01-09

What a great video. Well done Alex!
Especially loved the tracking shot through the crowd near the beginning. How did you do that?
Those backlit maps (at 3.00) will surely catch on. Might even persuade me to do more night events.

Posted: 18 December 2010 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-25
Simon Thraves - 18 December 2010 09:35 PM

Especially loved the tracking shot through the crowd near the beginning. How did you do that?

Hi Simon, I understand from Alex that the tracking shot was filmed in the opposite direction originally, and then edited to be played in reverse. And I thought there would never be a need for that particular feature… Rob.

‹‹ Sprint Championships      Holmbush ››