Walking Britain
Posted: 01 June 2008 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Yellow
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi all.

On tuesday the 3rd I begin walking Britain from Land´s End to John O´Groats. I do it for charity as well as for fun.
It will take a bit more than three and a half months.

It will be an amazing experience, although at this very moment, a few hours before leaving, I am a bit scared…

The charity org. of my choice is East Anglia´s Children´s Hospices (EACH) http://www.each.org.uk/. They take cara of very ill children and their families.
If you like, you can donate in http://www.justgiving.com/carlosfl

I have a blog where you can check if I am still alive http://www.carlosgbblog.blogspot.com
My e-mail is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and my mobile number 07952243935, just in case someone want to join me for a bit of the walk. Here is a rough itinerary:

From Land´s End to Paldstow, North Coast of Cornwall.
Eastbound to Bodmin Moor, looking for the beast and also stopping in Jamaica Inn where the best cider in the world is served, if we forget about the Asturian one, of course.
Dartmoor
Straight to Glastonbury… “ups, there is something going on here, what a coincidence!!!, I think I´ll stay for five days…..!!”
Bath, Costwalds hills
North West to the Black Country. Hopefully get a boat and sail the canals for a day or two(“this is not cheating….”, “… because I say it is not cheating, end of the story!”
North West avoiding Manchester through the peak district, Yorkshire Dales, Penines.
Get to Glasgow (unexplored, I mean I haven´t got a clue), Fort William.
From there, and exactly on the 22nd of August, I´ll be meeting Jeremy, Daniel and Co, in Invergarry to walk the Knoydart peninsula in the bank holliday weekend.
Then continue to do either Skye from Mallaig then Lewis and back to main land to finish it, or just go North East all the way to Dunnet´s Head.

I would like to tell all of you that it has been a big pleasure to run with you in the last 3 or 4 years.
But, obviously, the last one has been the best of all. :-)

I hope to see you in September or October

All the best

Carlos

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2007-09-25

Good luck Carlos!

Don’t forget your compass, and make sure that you come back to defend your title. Congratulations on this season’s win!

All the best

Rob.

Posted: 02 June 2008 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Green
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-11-12

Good luck on your walk - I hope all goes well.

Fantastic result winning the Spring SOG series - very well done!

Posted: 02 June 2008 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2007-09-25

Wow! Quite an Odyssey that you’re embarking upon. Some highlights have already been identified, but this diverse country is bound to reveal others in less expected places. I’m sure that many people hearing about your plans will have a mixture of admiration and envy! (I particularly envy the bit about Knoydart).

The determination that has brought you well deserved success in our local orienteering league should see you through to the conclusion of your adventure!

Good luck Carlos and see you in the early Autumn.

Peter

Posted: 10 June 2008 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi.

Thank you for your messages.

Carlos

Posted: 10 June 2008 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-25

You lucky lucky boy. Every day blue skies in the blog. When we were all down there for the Tamar Triple it was howling winds and lashing rain. So you weren’t tempted to stick to the Cornish Coast Path on 6 June??

Posted: 14 June 2008 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15

The weather is being fantastic indeed. I was missing a bit of shade actually.

Cheers

Carlos

Posted: 04 September 2008 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Green
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-12

Carlos is now in North Scotland - check out his blog and if you have a few pennies to spare, pop along to his JustGiving website. A fantastic journey - well done Carlos!

Posted: 06 September 2008 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi.

Andy: thank you for the note.

I am in Tongue, just in the North Coast; almost finished. Still lots of clouds, but at least not rainny. Sandy beches, and nice local people.

And talking about finishing, I’ll be back in Horsham on the 11th thursday; I’ll go straight to the pub (Pirie’s bar in Carfax, Horsham)to have a few drinks with friends. If any of you would like to have a beer, we’ll be there from 8 pm. It’d be nice to see you.

See you soon.

Carlos

Posted: 12 September 2008 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Green
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-09

Well done Carlos. I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog and sharing your ups and downs.
It occurs to me that if you ever write a book about your walk you should call it something like ‘Beers and Deers’.
See you soon.

Posted: 12 September 2008 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15

Beers and deers…. I like that!!!

:)

Carlos

Posted: 12 September 2008 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-25

The only thing is, I guess the ratio was something like 10:1 :)

Posted: 12 September 2008 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15

Actually, it was 300:4, roughly speaking…

:)

C