Mountain Marathons
Posted: 24 May 2008 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Yellow
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-05-19

Many SOs will be donning fell shoes and rucsacs this summer and autumn and taking to the mountains for the LAMM, Saunders, OMM or one of the many Mountain O events throughout the UK.

I know we have a few MM virgins amongst us this year! As a bit of a MM veteran (I think it’s now 15 KIMMs/OMMs), I’d be up for hosting a MM evening during June - a sort of A-Z of Mountain Marathons. What to do/avoid (I think I’ve probably made most mistakes that can be made), eating, drinking, kit, navigation, hints & tips, etc.. Basically anything anyone wants to cover and an opportunity to ask all those questions that it’s not easy to get an answer to….like, how bad are the toilets?!

First things first….who’s interested?!

Kenny

Posted: 27 May 2008 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-05-26

Hi kenny,

Yes, it would be quite an interesting evening.

Please let me know more about time and date.

David Funnell

Posted: 29 May 2008 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Green
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-01-09

Hi Kenny.
I’d be interested in this, too.
In particular, advice on the most suitable classes to enter and on kit.
I’ve never got my backpacking load much under 20 kg!
Simon

Posted: 10 June 2008 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-11-16

Kenny

I am just back from my first ever MM.  It was not quite the success I was hoping for as our team retired after day one of the LAMM at Glenfinnan (having spent 11 hours on the D course).  I had some advice beforehand but nothing that really prepared me for what was in store.  I could provide some “virgin” advice if required.

Simon

Posted: 18 June 2008 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2008-05-19

I’ve now had enough people come back to me who are interested in the A-Z of Mountain Marathons session. So it’s on….and needs to happen before the Saunders on 5/6th of July!

Here’s the plan…...

Topic..........Everything you need to know about Mountain Marathons (MMs)
Audience...Anyone curious about MMs or who wants to share their experiences
Time..........7.30 for 7.45pm
Date..........Thursday 26th June 2008
Venue........Precise details to follow… but will be in Findon Village, West Sussex, just north of Worthing and adjacent to A24. Most likely in a room in one of the local pubs, so we can enjoy a beer or 2 and some pub grub! I’ll supply final details in next few days.

What do you need to do and bring?! Well nothing really, other than your questions, issues, maps and whatever else you want to talk about.

Please send an email or a response to this forum entry if you’re likely to be there, so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks!!

Kenny

Posted: 22 June 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2008-05-19

Final details for Thursday evening’s MM session…

Topic      - Everything you need to know about Mountain Marathons (MMs)
Audience  - Anyone curious about MMs or who wants to share their experiences
Time        - 7.30 for 7.45pm. Suggest we order food by 7.45, for about 8.30. We can then keep talking through food and do some more bits and bobs after.
Date       - Thursday 26th June 2008
Venue     - Gun Inn, Findon Village, just N of Worthing and just off of A24. I’ve booked a room at the back of the pub from 7.30pm onwards (no cost, as long as we do a little eating and drinking!

Confirmed attendees so far are Pete & Anna, John & Ingrid, Les & Sylv, Barry, Jan, Simon and myself. Sharon & Paul also joing us at some point…so 12 so far! 

Anyone else very welcome!! Please let me know beforehand if you can either by email or on 07887 628067.

Thanks!

Kenny

Posted: 27 June 2008 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Blue
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-10-12

I would just like to thank Kenny on behalf of a group of us who gathered at the Gun Inn, Findon last night for a very enlightening evening on the subject of Mountain Marathons, in particular emphasising how to prepare for two day events, as a number of us will be doing our first MM in just over a week’s time.

There were interesting tips and hints on how to prepare for the event and to think of the event in three parts - day 1, overnight and day 2 preparing yourself with the right amount of food, clothing, kit and safety equipment for each part of the event. Kenny highlighted how you need to try and achieve a fine balance between the three parts of the event -  what you carry on day 1 will have an impact on how you get through day 1, and that the food, clothing and kit you have carried on day 1 is enough to afford you a reasonable amount of overnight refuelling and comfort (albeit limited!) so that you can have a good day 2.

Especially interesting were the many different ways to cut down on the final weight you are carrying, with tips and hints as to how and what to carry in your rucksack, as well as by removing various unrequired dangly bits from the rucksack itself! It was amazing to see just how much could be packed into a 16L rucksack.

Part way through the evening we all had a chance to chat to those who had also had MM experience over a meal and a glass or two.

I think everyone went away feeling like they knew a little more, perhaps we won’t all be subscribing to some of Kenny’s extreme measures to become a top Mountain Marathoner but I’m sure his experiences will help us all to think a little harder about MM preparation.

Thanks Kenny, it was very interesting. I’m not sure whether I feel pleased to be going to the Saunders now or not, I am now feeling a bit daunted looking at the contours (or paths as Barry calls them) on the Helvellyn map! However, I’m sure Les C. will be a great partner having done a few MMs before. Perhaps if you do another talk sometime I’ll add the perspective from a female point of view….things like tissues / loo roll particularly come to mind!

Jan

Posted: 31 March 2009 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2007-11-16

I wondered if anyone would like to get together to share their experiences from last year’s strenuous efforts in preparation for events this year?  I am returning to the LAMM in June (D course) and hope to succeed this year i.e. finish!!

I thought we could share tips amongst experienced “mountain marathoners” and pass them onto any prospective fools who are thinking of attending a 2 day event.

Rgds
Simon

Posted: 08 June 2009 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2007-09-25

LAMM 2009 Results

Simon succeeded!

A very creditable 56th place (in a tightly packed field) on the D course (paired with Duncan Thomson) – Well Done!

I did a quick scan of the results of the LAMM (Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon Website) and spotted a few other familiar names. NB Its not so easy to spot club mates when the clubs aren’t listed, so apologies for missing anybody.

Our mentor, Kenny (and running partner Keith Masson) achieved what they were aiming for too. The Mountain Marathon Score supreme duo took the title in the score class! Great Result!
It sounds like they made good use of their calibrated “1 hour length of string” to maximise points earning potential on the first day: making a well judged decision at the end of the day to go for a couple of extra controls, and finishing within a few minutes of the time limit.

The only other name that jumped out at me was Martin Brice, who finished 65th in the score class with partner Nick Marr – Solid result from them too.

Posted: 09 June 2009 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Joined  2007-11-16

Thanks Peter

We did indeed finish this year which after last year’s failure was a real result.  We had a great first day with both of us pushing reasonably hard.  But we suffered for it on day 2 where every climb/descent was agonising - I am now in need of two new knees!!!  But we managed to hold onto our overnight place.  We were quite chuffed with 56th

I did not see anyone other club members but did see Kenny’s result on both days - well done indeed.  The weather was great - much easier than last year as it was much cooler and the wintry conditions did not materialise - cool winds but just one really cold shower on day 1.  A fantastic sunrise at mid-camp and plenty of sunshine on day 2.  And the cool weather kept the midges at bay which has to be a bonus!!

I’ve recorded a blog on Blogger so will finish it off soon and add some photos - might be interesting for anyone contemplating the LAMM.

Now just need to get ready for the SO handicap!

Posted: 21 July 2009 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Green
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-17

just seen this post. Yes, i was reasonably pleased with the Lamm result, but disappointed with not beating my bitter rival and most hated and worst enemy in the world who is also my very good mate Laurie Parmenter and his wife Ali, who finished day 2 with 2 seconds to spare after 5 hours 59 minutes and 58 seconds of effort - a bit close if you ask me! we were 11 minutes late on day 2 so suffered a 22 point penalty and they also did a better route choise than us and picked up another control with only minimal extra effort. i found the Score course to be well worth doing, and much better than either the old extremely long D course (they’ve shortened it now) or the too-short novice course (which was good because only a dozen teams did it so you were alone for the whole time). friends did the C course, which was also shortened from its extreme length, and they found it really tough. The Lamm tends to be in very big country - 2 hours between controls is not unusual. The Saunders was good fun - i did it with my daughter and we did the walking course with big rucksacks, a large tent and a Scrabble game to while away the evening! I’m of to the Rab in September and the dreaded OMM - let’s hope it goes better than last year.

Posted: 23 August 2009 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Yellow
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-15

All this talk of Mountain Marathons has got me interested now! I’ve thought about giving one a go in the past but never seemed to get round to it. A couple of trips to the Lakes this year has rekindled that interest.

So, from a regular orienteer to a newbie MM entrant -  where do I start? I’ve seen a number of short score courses so perhaps this is the first aim. Any advice would be appreciated to put me on the right track, particularly in terms of training, preparation, kit and recommendations for a first event. Might need a team-mate too!

Posted: 23 August 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Green
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-17

The best way to learn is to actually do it: the next one is the Rab in late september “somewhere in northern england”, unless you want go to northern ireland and do the mourne. The Rab is good: slick organisation, a few hundred (as opposed to a few thousand in the OMM) taking part. the weather tends to be OK-ish as well. peruse the OMM website for ages for tips and hints. I find it best to enter and then look for a partner, although after a few events you’ll know enough people to have a list of regular partners.

‹‹ OCAD 9      Rent-A-Crowd Required ››